Forklifts often rely on different electrical components to keep running. You should always do enough research before purchasing your lift on when and where you can operate your forklift.
Can you operate your electric forklift in rainy weather?
- Most forklifts are designed to withstand various weather conditions, but to be entirely sure check the IP code of your forklift to make sure that your lift is safe to use outside.
How waterproof are electric forklifts?
- By looking at your International Protection (IP) code, you can tell whether or not your forklift is able to operate in the rain. The IP rating system can tell you how well your lift withstands solid particulates and liquids. Any forklift that is rated IPX4 or higher is capable of operating outside during the rain.
- There is a protection level listed on the IP code from 0 to 6. Zero indicates that the forklift has 0 protection against other objects, while 6 denotes that it is totally dust proof. The liquid protection level is similar yet the scale ranges from 0-8. Zero indicates that the machine has 0 protection against any water and 8 means the lift could be submerged over three meters of water without damage.
Safety Precautions in Rain
- Set up procedures to keep your operators safe during inclement weather because it can be more difficult to operate your lift in the rain. Here are some examples:
- Ensure Adequate Visibility (Lights and Horn in check)
- Know Variances of Forklift Operation (Go Slow, Forklift Chains, Close Covers)
The Lilly Company is glad to help you discover whether or not your forklift can operate in rainy weather. Make sure to prepare in advance because you never know what the weather may bring!